what-ev-ah

Thursday, September 01, 2005

(updated) Dumb Things Bush has said about Katrina




"Don't buy gas if you don't need it," was Bush's advice.

Darn...buying expensive fuel for no reason was my plan for Labor Day Weekend.

But there's no doubt in my mind we're going to succeed.

Well that's nice...

Right now, the days seem awfully dark for those affected. I understand that. But I'm confident that, with time, you'll get your life back in order.

Gotta love time...and it's real nice that he "understands" that people are affected by the hurricane.

"We've gotta get a handle on this from the human dimension, first and foremost"

I'm glad humans are his priority!!! (yeah humans!)

"I'm not expecting much from foreign nations, because I haven't asked for it. I'm expecting sympathy and maybe some will send cash"

According to Reuters, at least 20 countries have offered help. But this is news to Bush who seems to think things only happen when he asks for it. And why didn't he ask? Isn't our country a little broke right now? And isn't this disaster a little bad?

I'm honored to be with former Presidents Bush and Clinton

Wow! What an honor to be with his Daddy and the guy who beat his Daddy in an election.

In our judgment, we view this storm as a temporary disruption that is being addressed by the government and by the private sector.

Just a little thing...keep moving...nothing to see here...

"I fully understand people wanting things to have happened yesterday. I mean I understand the anxiety of people on the ground... So there is frustration but I want people to know there's a lot of help coming"

Unfortunatly, the people who needed help 'yesterday' are on rooftops and/or are without power...they can't hear this wonderful message that "there's a lot of help coming."

"I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees.

In 2001, FEMA warned that a hurricane striking New Orleans was one of the three most likely disasters in the U.S. But the Bush administration cut New Orleans flood control funding by 44 percent to pay for the Iraq war.

The senior project manager for the Army Corps of Engineers' New Orleans district said that the levees were designed to withstand a Category Three hurricane.

Hurricane Katrina hit the gulf coast at daybreak as a category four storm

For at least a decade, critics have warned that the levee system protecting New Orleans needed serious upgrading. Dire predictions of the complete destruction of the city by either a hurricane or by a historic Mississippi River flood have circulated for many years...

Of course, mabye Bush didn't know this, which explains why he (and congress)
recently cut funding for the Army Corp of Engineers in the area.

"There's a lot of food on its way, a lot of water on the way and there's a lot of boats and choppers headed that way... it just takes a while to float them."

Float the choppers?

"I hope people don't play politics during this period of time,"

I'm sure he doesn't, since he recently cut funds (see above) and his Daddy faced much criticism over his reaction to a hurricane.

He said he wanted to go to the scene but did not want to disrupt the emergency operation.

I'm sure everyone would drop what they were doing to get his autograph...

"There's no doubt in my mind as I sit here talking to you that New Orleans is going to rise up again as a great city"

"Rise up" was probably not the best choice of words at this time...

I'm looking forward to talking to the people on the ground

Sound like a good time!

"I'm not looking forward to this trip"

Changed his tune? (again)

The president rejected suggestions that the United States could not afford both the war in Iraq and the hurricane cleanup. "We'll do both. We've got plenty of resources to do both"

??? When???

Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house — he's lost his entire house — there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch. (Laughter.)

I'm sure the poor refugees, those still needing rescue, and our Nation in general, all feel better now that we know Trent Lott will have a new fantastic house.

This is a devastating storm.

Really???

I understand the devastation requires more than one day's attention.

Wow, he understands so much...such tough concepts...

I believe the town where I used to come from, Houston, Texas, to enjoy myself -- occasionally too much -- (laughter) -- will be that very same town, that it will be a better place to come to. That's what I believe.

Proof of Bush's unwaivering Faith that there will be a place for him to enjoy himeself

"The world saw this tidal wave of disaster ascend upon the Gulf Coast. Now they're going to see a tidal wave of compassion."

Who the hell uses a one disaster as a methephor to another disaster, then uses the same disaster metaphor to describe disaster help?

And by the way, I'm traveling with good company. My wife, Laura, is with me, too.

That's nice...

I understand. I understand the damage. I understand the devastation. I understand the destruction. I understand how longit's going to take.

OK, OK, OK...you understand...

And so long as any life is in danger, we've got work to do, and they're going to continue to save lives

"We've got work to do" yet "They're going to..." ???

I hope that makes you feel good to know that you helped save life

???

In America, we do not abandon our fellow citizens in their hour of need.

except this time...

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job"

Anyone who thinks Mike Brown has done a "heck of a job" is insane...